Embracing CHANGE

It's amazing how life can take the swiftest turn and CHANGE everything you thought to be possible. CHANGE does not always mean the loss of something... CHANGE is a means of creating another way to ACCOMPLISH your goals...



Friday, February 11, 2011

I am currently pursuing my Masters Degree in Counseling and through this journey I have learned some enlightening information. I speak about my mom a lot because she is a MAJOR part of my world and I want people to be informed about MENTAL ILLNESS within the family construct. It is something that a large percentage of people deal with, especially within the MINORITY community. The sad part is we don't get treated for it and we live an life full of constant roller coasters of highs and lows. Now please don't misunderstand what I am saying when I say getting treatment. Find someone to talk to, learn new ways to cope, change how you not only view yourself and those around you, but how you view life as a whole. I've watched my mom struggle for the last three years and it has pained me to see her this way. I have done everything from enroll into pharmacy tech school to educate myself about meds so that I could educate her and help her and although I am pursuing my master's for my own personal career goals, i also know that it is a process that will help me help my mom. Meds are only a small facet of mental illness. Therapy and finding the right support group is key as well. It is also VERY IMPORTANT that the person with the illness as well as the family and or their support system to EDUCATE themselves. You CANNOT treat what you don't understand. Take it  from me because i fight through these trenches everyday and without taking the opportunity to educate myself I would not be able to so what I do. GOD IS GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment